Founded in 1955, the Albert Einstein College of Medicine (Einstein) is one of the nation’s premier institutions for medical education, basic research and clinical investigation. A full-time faculty of some 2,000 conducts research, teaches, and delivers health care in every major biomedical specialty. The college has some 730 medical students, 193 Ph.D. students, 106 MD/Ph.D. students and 275 postdoctoral fellows.
Einstein’s major strength, in addition to training physicians and scientists, is its science. During fiscal year 2015, the faculty’s consistently high level of scientific achievement resulted in the awarding of more than $150 million in peer-reviewed grants from the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Einstein is part of Montefiore Medicine Academic Health System, an integrated academic delivery system comprising seven campuses, including 8 hospitals, a multi-county ambulatory network, a new state-of-the art “hospital without beds”, a skilled nursing facility, school of nursing, home health agency, and the state’s first freestanding emergency department. As the University Hospital for the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Montefiore is a premier academic health system, employing Einstein’s clinical faculty and training Einstein’s medical students, over 1,300 residents, 420 allied health students, and 1,600 nursing students annually.
The Albert Einstein College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Einstein seeks candidates whose skills, and personal and professional experience, have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence, and the communities we serve.
Reporting to the Applications and Services Manager, the Systems Engineer will perform day-to-day administration and support for approximately 1000 Linux servers in a predominantly RHEL in a VMware environment.
- Performs installation, configuration, and overall maintenance of Albert Einstein College of Medicine’s Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6/7 infrastructure.
- Works with other System Engineers in the design, testing and debugging of complex Linux/Unix problems to support the College’s core and critical applications.
- Completes work in a timely manner ensuring the meeting of both assigned tasks and project-specific work.
- Works both individually and in a collaborative environment to resolve technical problems, efficiently and effectively.
- Gathers system specifications and utilize cross-team subject matter experts, industry best practices and vendor specifications to implement new infrastructure.
- Provides subject matter expertise for the Linux/Unix infrastructure to increase reliability and continuity for applications.
- Provides on-going documentation for all configuration and installation work being done and regular feedback for any lack of resources, and/or knowledge gaps that prevents completion of assigned tasks.
- Addresses ticket queues to ensure optimal turnaround times and customer satisfaction.
- Available to be on-call one week per month to handle system problems 24x7.
- All other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree and 2-4 years of related experience and relevant technical training is required. An equivalent combination of education and prior related experience will also be considered.
Skills and Competencies
- Strong knowledge of Linux/Unix systems design, development, maintenance techniques and processes.
- Linux RedHat 6 or newer.
- Scripting ability.
- Experience with VMware.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
- Demonstrated excellence in a variety of competencies including teamwork/collaboration, analytical thinking, communication and influencing skills, and technical expertise.
- Ability to work with changing priorities and with multiple projects.
- Ability to be precise and attentive to detail is essential.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work weekend and off-hour work on occasion.
-5+ years related experience.
- Hands-on knowledge of the LAMP stack; MySQL Database Administration experience strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with Kerberos, LDAP, NFS, and SAN storage and networking concepts including load balancing for application reliability.
- Experience using Puppet to automate and manage configuration.
- Windows 2008/2012/2016 server experience.